Computers have now become essential electronic products in our lives. Now there are many ways that computers are presented to us. From traditional desktop computers to very popular tablet computers, we can always find products that meet our needs.
Currently on the market, whether it is a desktop computer, a notebook computer, a tablet or an all-in-one computer, they are all the final products launched by manufacturers in response to market demand. But in this one, there is another type of computer product, that is MINI PC.
The positioning of the MINI PC is very special, it has the characteristics of an all-in-one that does not take up space, at the same time it has good performance, and it is also easy to carry.
Some friends may say that MINI PC is a product of four differences. But what I want to say is that whether it is used as a home entertainment terminal or an office machine, the unique advantages of a MINI PC allow it to cope with applications in various environments. So, today we will talk about MINI PC related topics together.
Definition of MINI PC
In fact, there is no clear definition of MINI PC, which is why many people do not understand MINI PC. In many e-commerce product listings, MINI PCs are often grouped together with desktop computers. Indeed, in terms of function and appearance, a MINI PC is a reduced version of a traditional desktop computer, but due to the many differences in hardware, a MINI PC is by definition separate from a desktop computer.
In desktop computers, we can also see many compact products, but strictly speaking, we can not call them MINI PC. In the author’s definition of MINI PC, in addition to distinguishing specifications such as size and power consumption, it is more important to see whether the motherboard used by the computer host is a standard specification
There are currently three main sizes of motherboards used in desktop computers: ATX, m-ATX and ITX. In order to minimize the size of the MINI PC, a custom small motherboard design is generally adopted. We also define these small x86 architecture hosts with customized motherboards as MINI PCs.
Advantages of MINI PCs:
Compared with traditional desktop computers, MINI PCs have the following advantages:
- The size of the MINI PC is very small and it only takes up a small amount of desktop space. Some products can even be installed directly on the back of the monitor.
- MINI PCs usually use low-voltage processors, which are much lower in heat and power consumption than traditional desktop processors.
- The performance of the MINI PC can meet daily needs.
- The price of a MINI PC is more affordable.
The positive effect of Apple Mac mini on MINI PCs
If you want to talk about the most widely known MINI PC, then you have to talk about the Apple Mac mini. This small host brought the MINI PC into people’s sight. Although the Mac mini was expensive when it was launched, it’s much smaller size compared to traditional desktops still made everyone who had used Mac mini praised.
Although Mac mini is good, it is not a host running Windows operating system after all, so it will not be fully popularized in China. But the business opportunities of MINI PCs have been discovered by other manufacturers, and they have begun to launch many small-scale hosts with Windows systems. This is the product we see now.
Uses of MINI PCs
Since we want to buy a MINI PC, we need to know what this little thing can do? The author summarized it and listed the following uses:
- On-hook downloading: MINI PCs generally have low power consumption, low operating noise, and can stay on for a long time, suitable for downloaders.
- TV companion: The MINI PC can be used with a large-size LCD TV as a high-definition player. Of course, the Windows system makes its software very powerful and can do many things with the TV.
- Small server: The many advantages of MINI PCs make it the key to home networking. We can use this little thing to share and manage resources with everyone’s server, so as to make more efficient use of home LAN.
- There are various other uses…
The particularity of MINI PC
For electronic products, the higher the degree of integration, the less room for users to choose. If we buy a traditional desktop computer, we may also consider upgrading the host in the future. However, most of the hardware in the mini computer is soldered to the motherboard, and the internal space does not allow users to expand the hardware too much. In summary, we need to be more cautious when choosing a MINI PC.